The Runway framework is installed in the same way that you install any WordPress theme. This can be done in two ways: you can upload the Runway zip file using the WordPress theme upload facility, or you can upload the Runway folders and files using an FTP app.
Installing via WordPress
- Install WordPress and make sure you are using the latest version.
- Login to your WordPress admin.
- Go to Appearance > Themes and click on the Add New button.
- At the top of the page click on the Upload Theme button.
- Click on the file input box – it might say Browse… or Choose File – then locate and select the Runway ZIP file.
- Click the Install Now button.
- WordPress will now upload, unpack and install Runway. When finished you will be told that the theme installed successfully.
Installing via FTP
- Extract the files from the Runway zip file. This will create a folder on your computer named ‘runway-framework’.
- Login to your FTP server and navigate to your WordPress ‘wp-content/themes’ folder.
- Upload the ‘runway-framework’ folder from your computer to the ‘wp-content/themes’ folder on your server.
- Runway is installed once the folder has finished uploading.
Once Runway is installed you can activate it from Appearance > Themes: hover over the Runway thumbnail image and click the Activate button. Immediately after activating Runway you will see the “welcome” dialog asking whether you want to activate the default child theme; go ahead and click the Activate button. Once you have a feel for the features and functionality of Runway you can create your own child theme.